Below are independent assessments provided through an evaluation performed by Personnel Decisions, Inc. of Minneapolis. This was conducted as part of the career advancement program at my employer and involved 360 degree reviews from supervisors, peers and direct reports and two days of written tests and role playing exercises.
Summary comments from the career development assessment performed by Personnel Decisions, Inc.:
- “You bring exceptionally strong conceptual thinking skills to the executive role. You learn quickly and can grasp beyond broad and complex problems, getting to root causes and generating sound solutions.”
- “You enjoy challenging the status quo, and your ability to think divergently to produce multiple solutions and your strong analytical skills form a solid building block for executive success.”
- “You supplement your cognitive skills with a strong achievement orientation that thrives on problem solving.”
- “You have developed solid interpersonal skills and a congenial, positive personality that make you approachable and easy to work with.”
- “You enjoy being part of a team and excel at taking the role of cooperative team player. You strive for the best solution, not just the one that gives you personal advantage. Your strong integrity and obvious desire to do what is best for the organization are yet more elements of your success formula. Your strong experience in accounting and effective thought or idea leadership round out that success formula.”
Comments from the 360° evaluations performed by a group of ten supervisors, peers and direct reports.
- Supervisors – Extremely intelligent. Creative thinker and problem solver. Very organized. Good planner. Dependable. Strategic thinker. Superb communication skills, both written and verbal. Caring, sensitive and humorous personality.
- Direct Reports – Creative thinker. Always challenging subordinates to find better ways to do things. Technically strong in both the financial and I/T areas. One of his greatest strengths is his ability to listen. Sound judgment. Very creative and visionary. Not afraid of new challenges and of testing unique solutions.
- Peers / Colleagues – Quick to size up situations and provide solutions. Good at building relationships and relates extremely well to employees at all levels.
See additional recommendations and endorsements on my LinkedIn Profile page. The top skills listed by those who’ve worked with me include:
- Process Improvement
- Strategic Planning
- Financial Analysis
- Business Development
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Recommendations on LinkedIn include these:
John C., Group President (Supervisor)
As the La-Z-Boy Group Controller, Gary was instrumental in the planning and execution of several key initiatives, including a multi-divisional move to an ERP system, the implementation of SOX and the implementation of ArcPlan data warehousing that provided a consolidated view across several divisions. Gary has a unique set of skills that I found invaluable. He is as well versed as a CIO as he is a CFO. Systems analysis, process improvement, and a thorough knowledge of IT are coupled with a keen financial mind that always anticipated both short term and long term impact of any business decision. Comfortable in both the tactical world and the strategic, I found him to be a trusted and valued ally in a reorganizational effort and a restructuring process. On a personal note, he always operates at the highest level of integrity and is one of those individuals who understands the importance of always setting a personal example for others to emulate. He always walks the talk. He is never heavy-handed, but rather commands respect with a reserved presence and a very thorough command of the facts. If the opportunity arose, I would hire him in a minute.
Brad S., V.P., Marketing (Peer)
I had the pleasure of working with Gary for nearly two years as a member of the La-Z-Boy Upholstery Group executive team. Immediately upon his arrival in Monroe, Gary immersed himself in the issues and challenges of our newly consolidated group and tackled his role with energy, enthusiasm and insight. Among his accomplishments was the implementation of the ArcPlan data warehouse which provided a consolidated view of all sales. He prepared the requisition for a multi-divisional J.D. Edwards ERP project and secured board approval. He was also highly skilled at financial reporting, and was a team leader in decision analyses on the corporation’s international ventures. During Gary’s tenure, he made a significant impact on our strategic focus and direction, and helped update and streamline many procedures and systems. I found Gary to be a spirited and engaging member of our team. He has a unique talent for digging in to understand a problem, studying it from all facets and directions, then recommending solutions that a smart and effective.
Eric J., Sr. Financial Analyst (Direct report)
Gary combines strategy, forward-thinking, and diplomacy into a strong management style. He has the ability implement large projects while also understanding the granular processes that inevitably lead to success. I reported to Gary during the implementation of a new forecasting and budgeting tool at a $700M multinational corporation. His diplomatic skills created consensus among all members. The thoroughness he exemplified during this project resulted in the best long-term solution the company. I enjoyed working with Gary because he genuinely loved his work and he always took time to teach me new skills that furthered my success. I would highly recommend Gary and look forward to the opportunity to work with him again in the near future.
Jennifer S., Sr. Account Executive (Colleague)
Gary is a highly qualified business financial leader and CFO with extensive experience. He was a trusted advisor who helped drive business profitability. He has great leadership skills working with and through his team to drive results. It was such a pleasure working with him and I appreciate his guidance and support during our time together at IRON Solutions. Gary is an outstanding individual and I would welcome the opportunity to work with him again in the future.
Other individual references are available upon request.